[X4U] Parallels Desktop

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Thu Nov 30 14:20:23 PST 2006

At 1:24 PM -0800, 11/30/06, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>Parallels sounds awfully close to Virtual PC, and I know how poorly
>it was able to handle such things.

The methodology is very similar except for the very important issue
that Parallels is using an Intel chip that was specifically designed
to allow for this.

>I suspect that for at least the Microfilm scanner Bootcamp might be
>the way to go.

Pick Bootcamp when speed is the issue. Otherwise, go with Parallels.

>   Can Parallels use a partition setup for Bootcamp?

No

>Realistically I think a combination of the two solutions will be the
>best way to go here.  Parallels looks well suited to running the
>Genealogy applications, and Bootcamp looks best for interfacing
>with the hardware.

Not really. Bootcamp really doesn't offer any specific hardware
compatibility that Parallels doesn't have. They each will fall down
in some instances.
--

Robert Ameeti

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.