[X4U] Parallels Desktop

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Nov 30 13:24:42 PST 2006

> For my money, booting up Windows in Parallels is way better than
> having to partition my drive and rebooting into via Bootcamp. Way
> better.
>
> But we may have different needs. It's not one size fits all. None of
> the apps I need Windows for is hardware dependant, no device drivers,
> etc.

Everyone having different needs just about sums it up.  I'd pretty much be
happy with Parallels, as I personally would only want to run a couple simple
applications.

> The microfilm scanner and sewing machine you reference might need
> device drivers that aren't available for OSX, and from what I recall,
> USB 2.0 devices didn't always work as they were supposed to under
> Parallels. I would check the Parallels forums to get the latest info
> re: that.

Parallels sounds awfully close to Virtual PC, and I know how poorly it was
able to handle such things.  I suspect that for at least the Microfilm
scanner Bootcamp might be the way to go.  Can Parallels use a partition
setup for Bootcamp?  Realistically I think a combination of the two
solutions will be the best way to go here.  Parallels looks well suited to
running the Genealogy applications, and Bootcamp looks best for interfacing
with the hardware.

> Good luck...

Thanks, I think I'll need it :^)

	Zane