[X4U] Parallels Desktop

Hector Luna polonius19 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 10:03:55 PST 2006

For my money, booting up Windows in Parallels is way better than
having to partition my drive and rebooting into via Bootcamp. Way
better.

But we may have different needs. It's not one size fits all. None of
the apps I need Windows for is hardware dependant, no device drivers,
etc.

The microfilm scanner and sewing machine you reference might need
device drivers that aren't available for OSX, and from what I recall,
USB 2.0 devices didn't always work as they were supposed to under
Parallels. I would check the Parallels forums to get the latest info
re: that.

Good luck...

On 11/29/06, Zane H. Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to advise someone which way to go "Bootcamp" or "Parallels
> Desktop", and since I don't have access to an Intel based Mac yet, I haven't
> a clue.
>
> I personally think "Parallels Desktop" is the better solution, but after
> thinking about the intended use, I'm thinking "Bootcamp" might be better.
>
> A. Needs to be *simple* and no possibility of confusion (yes, I know leaving
> Windows out would be best, but as you can see from the following that's not
> an option)
> B. Geneology Software, including the possibility of having to run some under
> Virtual PC (Win95)
> C. Drive a Microfilm scanner that is "Windows Only", and later will likely
> also need to talk to a Microfiche scanner
> D. Interface with a fancy sewing machine
>
>                 Zane

When fascism comes to America it will wrapped in the flag and carrying
a cross.- Sinclair Lewis