[X4U] is FireWire hot swappable?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Oct 3 15:07:23 PDT 2006

nk said:

>I don't remember whether Firewire drives are  hot swappable or not.
>does anyone know?

They are supposed to be; as are USB devices.  But I've heard so many
horror stories related to doing so (blown FireWire boards, loss of data
on hard drive, etc.), that just as a matter of conservative practice, I
always power down before disconnecting and switching cables.

There are a couple of very interesting FireWire white papers here that
you may want to check out:

http://www.wiebetech.com/whitepapers.php

Randy B. Singer

MACINTOSH OS X ROUTINE MAINTENANCE