[X4U] How stable is 10.4.8?

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Thu Oct 5 18:55:56 PDT 2006

On Oct 5, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Edward O'Neal wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:38:16 -0500, Nick Scalise
> <nickscalise at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I've installed it on a Blue&White with a G4 upgrade chip, a Pismo
>> 500, a Dual
>> 2 Ghz G5 and Alum. 15" Powerbook with no apparent ill effects.
>
> I'm interested in the G4 upgrade chip on your Blue&White.  I also
> have a
> Blue&White that I'm not using right now.  I'd like to hear about your
> experience with your upgrade.  Brand?  Where'd you buy it?
> Satisfied with
> performance?  Issues? I'd love to use my old machine but sure would
> like to
> get a little more performance out of it and upgrade to 10.4.8.

It is a 500MHz G4 that I originally had bought for my Beige G3. I
bought it from XLR8 (when they were around). With the Beige it needed
a Control Panel for the motherboard to recognize the Cache, etc. It
just plugs and plays with the B&W G3.

No real issues, performance is what you would expect from a 500Mhz
G4, not great, but very usable. I have a Gig of RAM stuffed in there,
too.

However, I remember there being firmware that disabled upgrades, but
that may have been on the early G4's.

XLR8yourmac.com will have more details.
--
Nick Scalise