[X4U] How stable is 10.4.8?

Matt Gregory vdub.grego at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 17:49:45 PDT 2006

Jim,

Mine are Mercury Elite Pro drives from Other World Computing.  I'm
glad I opted for the dual USB/FireWire interface :-)

There's lots of information about the problem online.  It's all
pretty old.  Been around since at least 10.3.  My take on it is that
the problem has been around for a long time and Apple doesn't know
how to fix it.  So it's simply being ignored.  You can find some
writeups on how to "reset your FireWire ports" which may or may not
help you for only a certain amount of time.

It makes me wonder if it's one of the reasons we see FireWire
disappearing from some new products like the MacBook and 5G iPods ...

matt.