[X4U] Problems with .Mac mail

Ton Ensing ensing at mac.com
Sat Oct 7 01:41:07 PDT 2006

Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> Is anyone else having problems retrieving their mail from their .Mac
> account using Apple's Mail App? For the past few days my .Mac e-mail
> address keeps going offline and it keeps asking me for my password.
> I'm experiencing the same thing at home and at work. If I keep
> putting it online and checking mail it eventually will work but only
> to fail again later. I've checked the .Mac web site and it has the
> green light saying .Mac Mail is working fine. I'm not having any
> problems with my other, non .Mac, e-mail accounts

Well, I had the same problems and I went to the obvious place for
more info. And this is what Apple says (a couple of lines below the
green Mail light):
Some may be experiencing difficulty with mail. Please click here for
more information.

Which leads to

---------
We are aware of an issue that can cause an unrequested dialog box to
be seen when checking for new messages using an email application
such as Mac OS X Mail. This dialog can consist of either a request
for the account password or a message informing you that the
connection to the mail server has timed out.

Workaround:
Should you be presented with either of these messages, click the
Cancel button which will place your account into offline mode. Then
take the account online again by either selecting Go Online from the
Mailbox menu or by clicking the lightning bolt icon displayed to the
right of the affected account's Inbox folder icon in your mailbox
list. This should make your account active again.

If the previous steps do not restore access to your mail, quit and
reopen Mail. We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this.

Sincerely,

The .Mac Support Team

--------

Regards,