[X4U] New iTunes + old iPod = Aye Carumba!

Rob Kendall suingmachine at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 17:21:09 PDT 2006

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious or this has been covered, but this
seems really odd:

The facts:
I recently updated to iTunes 7.0.1
I have a first generation 20G iPod (non-color screen with direct FW port, no
dock; and according to iTunes fully updated)
Attached to a G3 iBook, dual USB, 800mhz, OS 3.9 (all updates installed),
384RAM

The circumstances:
Under pre-7 versions of iTunes, I had decided to just transfer Podcasts from
the 'Podcast' (purple icon) area of iTunes to just a plain (light blue)
playlists on my iPod. I forget exactly why I did this, but it avoided using
the 'sync' feature, (which i have turned off completely) and gave me
complete manual drag & drop control over podcasts on my ipod; which I liked
- in essence, podcasts where just treated like regular songs in a personal
playlist on my iPod and I didn't use the 'Podcast' purple icon on my iPod at
all.

The Issue:
So after updating to iTunes 7.0.1, my podcasts don't show up under the blue
'Music' icon under my iPod tab, nor do they show up under the purple
'Podcasts' tab.  My old self-created light blue 'my podcasts' playlist is
there on my iPod, but the contents don't show up in the main 'Music'
playlist.  This means I can delete items from my personal podcast playlist,
but (as one would expect) no free space is created on the iPod (as deleting
contents of a personal playlist just deletes the playlist entry, not the
'master' file).

Also, the iTunes main iPod screen lists there being 282 MB under 'Other',
which is about how much i had in my personal 'podcasts' list.  Apparently
'Other' should be for data (I only have 2MB as backup on my ipod) and album
art (of which I have none).

The Bottom Line:
It appears the new iTunes has a bug where podcasts that had been loaded onto
an old iPod as 'music' files are un-deletable and occupy the orange 'Other'
area.  Additionally, upon testing this theory, I deleted some music (to free
some space), loaded some podcasts as music files and 'free space' disappears
but when you delete the podcasts from the playlist (they still don't show up
in either the Music or Podcast tabs) no new free space is created.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...
-Rob
suingmachine at gmail.com
(only on digest, so please cc me if you have any ideas)