[X4U] Re: New iTunes + old iPod = Aye Carumba!

Rob Kendall suingmachine at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 17:22:44 PDT 2006

Well, I got no response, but I found a work around on the Apple discussion
board in case this helps anyone else. The short and concise problem:

I use iTunes 7.01 to manage my podcasts on my first gen 20G iPod as follows:
After downloading podcasts to iTunes I manually drag and drop the podcasts
onto a personally created playlist on my iPod. ( i.e.; I don't use auto-sync
for anything).

Under the new iTunes there is a bug where podcasts managed in such a way can
never be deleted from the iPod.  Deleting the file name from the personal
iPod playlist does not remove the file itself, and the files don't appear
under any other 'master' list on the iPod (like 'Music' or 'Podcasts' or
'Audiobooks').

To prove to myself I'm not crazy, I created a 'Smart Playlist' for genre
'Podcast' on my iPod; and boom, 624MB of un-deletable podcasts appear in it.

The Workaround: Option Delete files from this smartplaylist, definitely
buggy and inelegant.

-Rob