[X4U] drop stuff huge time estimate

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Thu Oct 12 17:36:27 PDT 2006

With all the StuffIts we have installed in the studio here (20 or so) I
pretty much see that all the time. I thought they would have fixed it in
the past few releases but it seems to have been there (from memory) in v8
to v10.

I also concur that it makes no difference to the unstuffing results,
however we also have had the odd archive that unstuffs all the way to the
end and appears to just hang. In the beginning the designers used to give
up after 5-10mins or so and tell me it was failing but after a few tests
we found that if you wait long enough.... sometimes 20-30mins on larger
archives it will in fact complete the decompression. I think only a few
times it really appeared that it was never going to stop and we gave up on
it.

For these reasons we MUCH prefer to work with zip files. They are much
faster to compress and de-compress and they are more reliable. If you zip
a file under OS X 10.3 and above the resource forks are maintained.
Zip-ing a file under 10.2 and under will strip them.

Cheers,

Coj

nk <netkat at comcast.net>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
13/10/06 07:52 AM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [X4U] drop stuff huge time estimate

I believe I tried what you are talking about once before, and IIRC,
resources were stripped from the files, causing major problems for me.
this was a couple of years back, tho...have things since changed?