[X4U] New Mac Upgrade

Richard Gilmore rgilmor at uwo.ca
Wed Oct 18 12:39:28 PDT 2006

On 18/10/06 3:14 PM, "T.L. Miller" <tlmiller at mac.com> wrote:

> On 10/18/06, at 2:51 PM, John Belen imacdude at mac.com said:
>
>> Has anyone actually USED Migration Assistant? How well does it work?

I have a few times it works well but I've noticed with Adobe CS1 apps like
Photoshop that the files associations didn't work correctly for me unless I
reinstalled the app. So if I double click a .jpg that has a Photoshop icon
and the "open with" preference pane is set to Photoshop it still wouldn't
open. The double click would do nothing. Similarly if I dragged the file
onto the Photoshop icon in the dock still nothing. Only going to Photoshop
and using open file would actually open it. Otherwise it worked fine. This
behaviour I've noticed every time I've used Migration assistant or had to
reinstall the OS but preserving users and apps etc...and having the old
system folder moved to previous systems. So I'm not sure what's going on but
only reinstalling Adobe CS from scratch would fix this issue for me.

>> Is there any info that you all, as Gurus and Geeks, would cover to a
>> group of potential Intel Mac buyers on the upgrade process?
>
> You may have some system enhancements that only worked on a PPC so you
> may have to get the universal binary version. No easy way to run Classic apps.

No way to run classic is true but you can now run Windows (perish the
thought)

Ymmv

Richard