[X4U] Mail quits

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sat Oct 21 14:52:36 PDT 2006

On 10/21/06 4:20 PM, Karlene Goodman wrote:

> I am running a G4 12" powerbook with the current OS and suddenly my mail
> program crashes every time I open it.  I trashed the pref file in my home
> folder library with no effect.  I rebooted and no effect.  Mail opens then
> starts to download (spinning thing) then quits unexpectedly. I don't even get
> an error message.  I have all the recent Apple software updates and the only
> new software is Retrospect Express 6 and a program called Speed tools
> utilities that came with my new external HD.  Anyone had this problem?  Any
> idea how to fix it?  Thanks.

Are you running mail from the external HD?

Try booting into Safe mode -- restart your computer and hold down the S key
while booting, until it says Safe. That forces a disk check of sorts. Then
see if you can launch mail.

Or, can you log into Web Mail for your account, and check to see if there's
something with a huge attachment or soemthing that looks unusual, delete it
from Web Mail, and then try Mail again?

or, you can boot from your OS X install disk and run Disk Utility and tell
it to repair the disk.

Let us know if anything helps.