[X4U] Re: Spam Filter In Mail

midiboy at mac.com midiboy at mac.com
Fri Sep 1 11:00:12 PDT 2006

On Aug 30, 2006, at 11:40 PM, B. Kuestner wrote:

(regarding Apple Mail's spam filter)

>> Everything that comes through my .mac address is filtered almost
>> perfectly, but almost nothing from my cable company address is
>> filtered at all.  Any ideas on what I can do?  I am deluged with
>> stock tips and pharmaceutical ads, etc.
>>

> Maybe the cable company already filters the easy to recognize spam
> directly on their servers and only leaves you with the harder to
> recognize spam? I know this is the case for one of my mail accounts.
>
> For private e-mail users a simple rule "if not in address book then
> move to spam folder" often does a job. Works for me. A quick glance
> usually quickly identifies if an e-mail was incorrectly identified
> as spam by that e-mail. I add the address to the address book, move
> it to the inbox, then select all in the spam folder and delete.
>
> Björn

This is very good advice. However, this command, which is in my Spam
rule, somehow stopped working. I have no understanding why....

However another list member, John Erdman,  gave me a great tip:
<junkmatcher.sourceforge.net/Home/>

This works spectacularly well for me right out of the box. I'm
training it now, but it caught 95% of spam without even configuring
it. It works with or without Mail's own filter, and it's free
(although it's so great, I'll send 'em something for sure!

Dave

dave hearn
silhouette multimedia
"music for the mind's eye"