[X4U] Using Apple's Find (Command F)

Peter Sealy pandcsealy at internode.on.net
Fri Sep 1 21:49:34 PDT 2006

I have my CMD-F default set to finding files by name (in list view)
and by Date Modified. By clicking the column header of the Date
Modified column the files sort themselves into date order with the
most recent at the top of the list.

Assuming that is what you are looking for, check out these references:

<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?
story=20050621230020563&query=10.4%253A%2BYet%2Banother%2Bway%2Bto%
2Bchange%2Bthe%2BFinder%2527s%2Bdefault%2Bsearch>

<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=731083&#731083>

There is/was another Apple Discussions thread titled "Cmd f and the
"spinning beachball"" but it seems to have disappeared from the
Discussions. Don't know why. It was dated in 2005. I can't find it
but I have saved it and I can send or post it to whoever wants it but
I do not know the legality of doing that. Is it copyright or something?

Rather than me try to select the most appropriate method for you
(there are a couple alternatives in these refs) I thought it best
just to give you the refs.

The Macosx hint offered by John Baltutis is of course to be included
in those refs.

Just for the record, I did not use any Smart Folder or amend the
Smart Folder plist.

Hope I have not confused anyone or wasted your time.

On Sat 245 Sep,, at 8:09 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> At 7:55 AM +1000, 9/2/06, Peter Sealy wrote:
>
>> Do you wish to have CMD-F permanently set up so that responses
>> show in List View for any search?
>> OR
>> Do you wish to have CMD-F permanently set up so that responses
>> show in Last Modified Date order for any search?
>> OR
>> Both?
>

> I would like for Apple's Find to default to finding in List view
> where I can then sort by clicking on a header. Kinda like it always
> was before it got so fancy that you'd have to know what catagory of
> a file you were looking for (or for when you don't care as to the
> catagory but just want to view every type of file in a date (time)
> sorted order.

Peter Sealy
Thurgoona AUSTRALIA