[X4U] webcam

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 22:25:39 PDT 2006

From: Stroller <macmonster at myrealbox.com>
>I believe that it's not that someone "discovered" hazardous materials
>inside the iSight but that a new European Directive came into effect
>this year. I have heard of a number of other computer parts being
>withdrawn from European sale because of the amount of lead in their
>solder. I believe the alternative solder is more expensive and
>requires higher soldering temperatures; consequently the replacement
>solder may not be interchanged freely and the cost of re-engineering
>the production process may be cost-prohibitive.

The Lead decision is just one of many the European parliament has
made that shows they don't understand reallity.

It makes sense banning dangerous manufactured artificial materials,
but Lead is an element and there is a fixed (actually an increasing,
due to radioactive decay) amount on the planet. It's all got to be
somewhere. If we make things with it we know where it is. If we
don't, we ensure it all ends up in landfill, working its way into the
world's water. Using it in petrol (gas) was not a good idea only
because it distributed it randomly in a form that meant it got into
us easily.

It'll be interesting when the palace of Westminster where the UK
government sits needs roof work. It must be half an acre of lead
sheeting.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk