[X4U] Re: Using Apple's Find (Command F) (John Baltutis)

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Sep 6 10:46:50 PDT 2006

On 09/06/06, "stephen e. schwartz" <ses at bnl.gov> wrote:
> At 15:58:58 -0700, John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>No hack needed. Users are able to modify plist files. Just modify the
>>/.Spotlight-V100/_rules.plist file which controls what's excluded and included
>>in Spotlight searches. This ain't rocket science. This is what mine looks
>>like:
>>
>><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
>>"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
>><plist version="1.0">
>><dict>
>>        <key>EXCLUDE</key>
>>        <array/>
>>        <key>INCLUDE</key>
>>        <array>
>>                <string>/System</string>
>>                <string>/Library</string>
>>                <string>/Developer/ADC Reference Library</string>
>>                <string>/etc</string>
>>                <string>/private</string>
>>                <string>/usr</string>
>>                <string>/bin</string>
>>                <string>/sbin</string>
>>        </array>
>>        <key>NOTE</key>
>>        <string>Specify paths to include or exclude, preceeding rules which
>>target user-homes with ~/</string>
>></dict>
>></plist>
>>

> avoiding the above is just why I use a macintosh. I want a command-f that
> will do what I want it to do. I am willing to configure it in a gui with
> check boxes or radio buttons, and even willing to modify those buttons when
> I want to change my search options, but not to spend executive cycles
> learning how to do anything even remotely resembling the above.

Totally agree. However, until Apple includes the GUI capability, knowing how to
work within the CLI allows you to achieve your goal. If you want the GUI
capability, then file an enhancement request through Apple's official
bugreporting system. Go to <https://connect.apple.com/MemberSite> and join the
Apple Developer Connection (ADC)-it's free and available for all Mac users and
gets you a look at some development software. Then, go to
<https://bugreport.apple.com/>, click on the Login to the Apple BugReporter
link (using your ADC username and password), and file your bug
report/enhancement request. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.