[X4U] Skype

Simon Forster simon-lists at ldml.com
Wed Sep 13 01:19:59 PDT 2006

On 13 Sep 2006, at 03:27, Michael Elliott wrote:

> Yes, Paul, but what is the upload speed from the person who you are
> downloading from?  That's the question that is so hard to figure
> out.  (Although one would think that if there is enough bandwidth
> to use Skpe audio chatting, that there would be enough to quickly
> download a file).

I don't think it's that simple in as much as Skype appears to run
some sort of quality of service (QOS) routine - which makes sense.
Certainly, I've noticed that if someone sends me a file as I'm
(audio) chatting to them, the speed is miserable - like, give up
miserable. However, same person, (text) chatting and file comes down
OK(ish). Although generally my perception of Skype's file sending
service is that it's slow. Fine for small files but send bigger files
some other route.

Simon Forster