[X4U] iTunes

eleventhvolume colin at eleventhvolume.com
Wed Sep 13 13:55:54 PDT 2006

> I find it very interesting how underwhelmed I am by the new views.
> Cover flow doesn't work for me, since hardly any of my albums (maybe
> 10-20%) actually had artwork to download. The Album view is just
> plain buggy. For example, I have an album called "Live USA" by Sinead
> O'Connor. I also have an album by David Bowie called "Live USA". The
> new view seemingly randomly sorts them... That is: Tracks 1-3 of the
> Bowie Album are together, then a new album with tracks 1-4 of the
> Sineaod O'Connor album. Then Back to Bowie for a few tracks, and so
> on. I could understand if the Compilation tag were set, but what's up
> with that????
>
> But really, these kinds of bugs happen. But for all the boasting
> about the iTMS and the number of songs available, I was very
> unimpressed by the lack of artwork. I guess this vehicle to get me to
> start using the iTMS won't work - obviously they don't cater to my
> tastes (which aren't that far out there!)

I wouldn't blame you if you couldn't be bothered, but you can always use
Google Images to search for album covers and paste them in yourself. I was a
fan of Coverflow and was somewhat mystified when its development stalled. My
taste in music tends towards the relatively obscure (Mandingo Griot Society,
Alva Noto or Hans Edler anyone?) so that's what I've been doing for a while.

I do miss Coverflow's full screen version and in terms of bugs or
ill-thought-out GUI, I'm finding that Coverflow really seems to struggle
with compilations and keeps displaying multiple identical covers for certain
comps, despite ticking the requisite boxes in get info. It also doesn't
marry satisfactorily with the multi-column browser mode.

Cheers, Colin.