[X4U] A couple of questions

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 23 09:36:25 PDT 2006

On 9/23/06 9:14 AM, Kurt Hindenburg <kurt.hindenburg at gmail.com> wrote:

>   I'm somewhat new to MacOS X and there a couple of things that bug me and was
> curious if there are work-arounds.
> 1. A program (firefox) is minimized; I use Apple+tab to hightlight the app
> icon (firefox) and release.  Why doesn't the app window un-minimize/display?
> This is most irrating as I have to use the mouse to click on the taskbar app
> icon to un-minimize the app window.

It¹s pretty apparent that you have been using Windows! The main difference
between the two is that while Windows treats everything as its own window
(so you can Alt-Tab to any window), Mac OS X treats windows as part of
applications (so you Apple-Tab to any running application).

If you do not want to have to use the mouse to click on a minimized window,
do not minimize the window in the first place. Simply hide the application
using Apple-H (This key is typically referred to as the Command key, but
don't ask me why). You can even use Command-H while in the midst of the
Command-Tab application switcher interface. When you switch back to the
application using Command-Tab, the application will reappear.

> 2. Why doesn't the delete key work in Finder?  It is strange to have to use
> the mouse and menu 'Move to  Trash'

You don't have to use the mouse. The keyboard shortcut in the Finder to move
a file to the Trash is Command-Delete. This can be seen in the Finder's File
menu. You may be able to change it to simply the Delete key via

--
Eddie Hargreaves