[X4U] Help lettings windows machine to connect to Mac

Michael J. Prevost mprevost at dot4.com
Mon Sep 25 08:53:45 PDT 2006

>I need help connecting from a PC running windows on my new Mac Pro.
>

>I have Mac A - G4 running 10.4.7
>I have Mac B - a new Mac Pro running 10.4.7
>I have PC - running windows xp pro
>
>On the PC site I can find both Macs. If I try to connect to Mac A I get the
>typical windows login - password screen. I enter the information and the PC
>can access the Mac files.
>
>From the PC if I try to connect Mac B I get a message saying I do not have
>permission to access it.
>
>Now, in System Preferences sharing I have the same settings on both Macs,
>including windows sharing checked. Firewall and Internet sharing are off on
>both Macs.
>
>What have I forgotten to do on my Mac Pro?
>

>Allan
>Nashua, New Hampshire
>www.nebirds.com

Hi Allen. If no one has handled this one yet, the solution is easy...

On your MacPro, open the Sharing System Preference and select the
"Windows Sharing" service.

You will see that there is a button to the right that allows you to
choose which accounts can be accessed from the Windows SMB world.
Make sure that at least one account on the Mac has been checked and
you should be off to the races.

Have fun.

Mike

--