[X4U] OT: Windows XP Print Screen

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Sep 25 18:36:16 PDT 2006

On 25 Sep 2006, at 23:55, John Richardson wrote:
> Perhaps I actually did take a shot. Tried to paste into wordpad.
> Print Scrn
> followed by Ctrl-V on a real PC pastes the screen shot into wordpad.

Ctrl-v has always seemed to work exactly as I expected when running
Windows on my Mac book, so I'm guessing that you haven't taken a
screenshot (ie: the Mac keyboard's f14 isn't mapped to Window's
PrntScrn)

I can't immediately illuminate further onto this - I just posted to
say that pasting the screenshot into Wordpad (or Word for that
matter) is hideously inefficient, and I detest (dealing with) people
who do that. Please desist at once!!

Wordpad (and Word) are programs for editing & formatting text, and
pictures aren't their main purpose. Sure, when you paste an image
into them it works, but you have no control over the image, nor do
the people to whom you're sending it, and one has no idea what format
the image is stored as. I find it quite annoying when someone emails
me a screenshot as a massive great .doc file because I then have to
wait for Word to open and then rescale the view of the "paper" so
that I can actually see the details of the (often blurry screen).

Every Windows PC is shipped with a copy of Paint and, although this
is fairly primitive, it is intended for graphics - when you paste the
screenshot into Paint you then get the choice of saving as a bitmap,
gif, jpeg or whatever. If you attach a real image file-format to an
email it is, of course, displayed inline by any modern GUI mail
client, and this saves the recipient much clicking when they come to
view the file. A gif or jpeg is also much smaller than the same file
wrapped in a .doc wrapper.

Just in case you don't knowt, alt-PrntScrn in Windows copies only the
currently active window to the clipboard, which is often more
efficient than sending a screenshot that shows much irrelevant
desktop. If you find that the "canvas" in Paint is much larger than
your screenshots, and that consequently you get white borders around
the edges when you save the file, you can go into Paint's "File" menu
and choose "New"; this will ask you the size of the canvas you want
and I set it to 5 pixels by 5 pixels; close Paint and decline the
option to save any changes; in the future when you open Paint it will
start with a tiny 5pixel square canvas - just paste the screenshot in
and the canvas will enlarge to accommodate it exactly. I mention this
because at one time Paint didn't have a cropping feature.

Stroller.