[X4U] Driver for wireless card on Powerbook G3?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Sep 26 22:25:49 PDT 2006

On 26 Sep 2006, at 19:13, Rick Smykla wrote:
> Ralink also provides drivers that work with some Airport compatible
> cards. I haven't checked these for compatibility, but perhaps
> someone else can comment.
> <http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm>

Ralink are a manufacturer of microchips for wireless cards, and these
are used by many other manufacturers of actual wireless cards.
Ralink's drivers only support their own products - eg network cards
which use the RT2500 chipset. The project working on a rewrite of
these drivers for Linux gives a very partial list of these at <http://
rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware>

In the context of a discussion on drivers, I would not consider these
cards to be "Airport compatible". They are 802.11g wireless network
cards which will run under Mac OS X with the right driver, but they
do not use Apple's drivers and are not listed as an "airport" card in
System Preferences > Networking. There are several different
manufacturers which use a Broadcom chipset and if you can find one of
these cards (more difficult now) then it will use Apple's driver and
be named "airport" in Apple's GUI; the o/s is "fooled" into thinking
the card is a genuine Airport (tm) product. I would personally
consider this to be "airport compatible".

Stroller.