[X4U] Why is email filtered to trash?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Apr 9 04:31:29 PDT 2007

On 8 Apr 2007, at 19:00, Crandon David wrote:
> Suddenly, I started having a few emails being filtered to my Trash
> folder when downloading them from the ISP's server.
>
> At first, it was one particular guy, who has sent me emails before
> without a problem. Suddenly, his emails were filtered to my Trash
> folder, without me even looking at them.
>
> Then, yesterday, one email from the list, got filtered to the trash
> as well.
>
> I have no filters set up to do this, and these emails are not
> marked as Junk mail.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> I'd like to forward them to someone to see if it does it on anyone
> elses machine as well.

Forwarding the messages to someone else changes their contents, so
the same rules no longer apply.

IMO this is most likely a bug that's local to your machine or user -
probably a corrupt set of filter rules in Mail.

Firstly: go to Mail > Preferences > Rules and untick the "active"
checkbox for all rules that you DO have.
Does the problem still occur?

Secondly: in  Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Advanced, ensure that
the "Remove copy from server after retrieving message" is set to
leave messages on the server for at least a few days. Then go to the
blue Apple in the top left corner of the screen & choose "log out
David". You may need to create another user on your computer first,
or be able to log in to your wife's user account, but set up the same
POP3 account in Mail app as another user.
Does the problem still occur?

Stroller.