[X4U] OT - reselling software

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Apr 10 12:59:24 PDT 2007

>when you sell your copy of the software, you're actually
>transferring the license to USE that copy.
>so, you take the money from the person buying it, and you hand over
>ALL discs and manuals and whatever was in the box when you opened
>it, as well as notifying apple that you are transferring the license
>to that new person, with all their info..name, phone, etc.
>
>be very much like transferring apple care to somebody who buys your
>Mac with applecare still activated.
>
>then, of course, apple assumes and expects that you remove every
>speck of that software from all of your computers.
>
>others may have comments to add, but I believe I've nutshelled it for ya.

I believe you should also provide them with a letter that states that
you are transferring your license to them.  I've not dealt with this
in about 10 years.  At that time I bought a couple pieces of software
from a local Mac/PC store, only to find out that they were already
registered, and that they were registered to the store.  Of course
they didn't tell me this, the software publisher did.  IIRC, Quark
wanted the signed statement that the license had been transferred.

Zane