[X4U] ghost - disk duplicator type utility for Mac OS X

Jim Scott jescott3 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:09:50 PDT 2007

Jerry,

OK, then try using firewire Target Mode.

Install CCC on a Mac with a hard drive that has an empty partition
big enough to hold the contents of the "suspect" hard drive. If the
suspect Mac has firewire and is running OS X 10.2 or higher (which
seems likely), then connect the two Macs with a firewire cable. Start
your Mac, then start up the other Mac and immediately hold down the T
key until you see a yellow firewire icon bouncing around on a blue
screen. Your Mac will see the suspect machine as a Target Mode hard
drive, and you'll have total access to it. Then run CCC and clone the
suspect drive to the empty partition on your Mac. Or have an external
drive connected to your Mac and use your Mac to clone the suspect
Target Mode drive to the external hard drive.

All of this assumes you're running OS X 10.2 or higher on both
machines, if I remember the cutoff point for firewire Target Mode
capabilities.

HTH,

Jim