[X4U] Progress on 10.4 upgrade causing crashes

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Apr 28 12:14:47 PDT 2007

> Well, it looks like I might have found what was causing my G5 2x2 to crash
> when attempting to upgrade from Mac OS X 10.3.9 to 10.4.
>
> I pulled out an old 300GB SATA drive (used to be my system drive).  Formated
> it and did a fresh install of 10.4 on it, and the system was still crashing.
> Pulled out all of my RAM, trying two different pairs of Mac G5 RAM (I have
> one pair that isn't intended for the Mac).  Still crashing.  At this point
> I'm really frustrated, and wondering what on earth is wrong.  This system
> has briefly run 10.4 in the part on two different occasions without any
> problem.
>
> So I pulled my data drive, and the crashes stopped.
>
> Either it doesn't like the WD2500 (250GB) drive for some reason, or it
> doesn't like the system disk being in the bottom drive bay.
>
> Now to do some more testing and some shopping for HD's.

Further testing shows that the RAM doesn't appear to be causing any
problems, at least not initially (ran for about 7 minutes), however putting
the Western Digital HD back in (this time in the lower slot) once again
causes the system to crash within a few seconds.  So it crashes with the HD
in no matter how I have the RAM configured, and the only RAM which I would
expect *might* cause a problem was out for the bulk of the testing.

Time to look into replacing the HD.

BTW, I ran DiskWarrior over the HD before the first upgrade attempt, but I
have to wonder if it doesn't have some kind of low-lying corruption. :^(

Zane