[X4U] Progress on 10.4 upgrade causing crashes

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Apr 28 17:50:57 PDT 2007

Robert Ameeti wrote:
> 'Tis a shame of sorts that so many users will once again only
> remember that upgrading to 10.4 was a problem. Seems that over and
> over we hear of users to are hesitant to upgrade because of all of
> the problems that they heard people were having to deal with then the
> did an upgrade. To me, the fact that a hard drive is causing this
> problem is not in any way because of 10.4. Tiger does not require
> anything special from a hard disk.

I'll agree that the HD is to blame, though I'm not yet convinced it's the
physical HD.  I'm curious to see what happens after moving the data to a new
HD and erasing the Western Digital drive.

However, this and other things people have mentioned do point towards 10.4
being far more touchy than 10.3.9.  For me the big thing that kept me on
10.3.9 wasn't trouble in upgrading (I upgraded to 10.4 the day it was
released), what kept me on 10.3.9 was the removal of classic Appletalk
support.  Since I've upgraded my OpenVMS server to V8.3, I can no longer
export my VMS disks via Appletalk, so there is no longer a good reason to
stay on Mac OS X 10.3.9.  Plus in the past few months a couple reasons to
move to 10.4.x have shown up (the big one being Adobe CS3).

	Zane