[X4U] Installing Firefox

Vince Lewis vplewis at mac.com
Wed Aug 1 07:26:47 PDT 2007

On Aug 1, 2007, at 5:51 AM, T.L. Miller wrote:

> On 7/31/07, at 5:31 PM, Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com said:
>
>> Well, when you download it from versiontracker or some place like
>> that, it just opens a disk image and you drag it to your desktop. No
>> installer involved there, either, just drag and drop. So it kind of
>> makes sense to me that they wouldn't suddenly have an installer for
>> the automatic download.
>
> Again, when I'm not asked for a password when I download and install
> something, I find that highly unusual.
>

> Tom Miller
> "The only time we see the middle of the road is as
> we run from side to side." R.O.Clark

What Daly told you was that there is no need to provide a password if
you are in an admin account and the software vendor doesn't need to
install additional files in someplace outside your individual user's
directory. If you want to always be required to provide a password,
make a non-admin account and use that as your primary account. Then
every install will ask for an admin password.
	As far as finding this behavior "highly unusual," the fact is that
this is the Apple-recommended way to deliver apps to end users.
ciao,
Vince