[X4U] Installing Firefox

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Wed Aug 1 16:16:55 PDT 2007

At 8:51 AM -0400 8/1/07, T.L. Miller wrote:
>On 7/31/07, at 5:31 PM, Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com said:
>
>>Well, when you download it from versiontracker or some place like
>>that, it just opens a disk image and you drag it to your desktop. No
>>installer involved there, either, just drag and drop. So it kind of
>>makes sense to me that they wouldn't suddenly have an installer for
>>the automatic download.
>
>Again, when I'm not asked for a password when I download and install
>something, I find that highly unusual.

I can understand that, but I would say that about maybe 25% of the
installers I download on my weekly orgy of updating from
versiontracker, are just files that download then get dragged to the
Applications folder, with no installer application. It's not really
that unusual. Maybe there are licensing fees involved in using a full
installer, and these people don't want to pay the fees?

But these are simple applications that require dragging just one file
to one location. I could choose not to do it if I wished. So why
should I use a password to do something I'm voluntarily doing anyway
(dragging it)?

Daly