[X4U] MacBook Pro decision

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Sat Aug 4 04:35:57 PDT 2007

I've always found that the middle model (i.e., the better 15 incher)
is usually the best bang for the buck; and gives the longest
effective lifetime before I_wanna_new_one_itis starts to rear it's head.

I typically only replace my primary machine (laptop) every 3-4 years;
so going low end makes me behind the power curve more quickly.

Drive space can go pretty quickly . . . especially if you get either
Parallels or Fusion (I have both for work purposes) and have more
than one virtual machine (I do). My 160 GB drive only has about 30 GB
free at this point.

The video card difference is only important if you're really a big
gamer; for normal use you won't see much difference.

The processor speed won't be all that relevant unless you're doing
big Photoshop files with lots of filters or lots of video compression
or other stuff that's just number crunching. In normal use, a 10%
faster processor will hardly be noticeable.