[X4U] MS Office 2008 delayed

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Aug 4 15:02:56 PDT 2007

On Aug 4, 2007, at 3:15 AM, Tim Collier wrote:

> Strangely enough, I do have some experience with Office 2007 (PC
> version), I installed Vista and bought Office along with it for use
> on the Mac Pro.  They've changed EVERYTHING and I might add NOT for
> the better.  After a couple of Word documents and then trying to
> put together an Access Database, I threw up my hands in
> disgust....now how many manuals am I going to have to read before I
> get some inkling as to how to use this new "crap"?

Welcome to the Macintosh.  The Macintosh is different than Windows.

As for learning how to "use this new crap", Word, and Office as a
whole, are high end products.  I don't know of any high end programs
that can be used without some reading and/or some training.  You
can't expect to be proficient using Illustrator, Express, FinalCut
Pro, Photoshop, GoLive, etc. without being trained to do so first.
If you aren't prepared to learn how to use a high-end program, stay
away from them.  Stick to consumer level programs.

Word isn't at all hard to use.  In fact, it is quite easy to use.
But it isn't intuitive to *learn* to use, just like any other high
end program.  Skipping the two or three hours of training that is
required to learn to use Word proficiently, and instead spending
countless hours everyday fighting with the program because you don't
know how to use it is, IMHO, asinine.  Unfortunately, I see people
doing this all the time.   It's a stupid as those people who go out
and purchase the biggest, most powerful motorcycle they can find for
their first-ever motorcycle.  Or someone who would try to fly an
airplane without ever having gone to flight school.  And then
complaining that these are too hard to learn to use.

> From what I've read, the Mac Version for 2008 is going to be along
> the same line...no thank you very much.

Word is going to have its interface updated, but it won't be like the
Windows version.

Are you criticizing Mac/Word's new interface without having even seen
it?  Would you like to know how that sounds...?

> Yesterday, I bought Mariner Write and Mariner Calc.  They
> handle .xls and .doc documents just fine and you can save them in
> that format.  I've now removed Word and Excel and am happily
> Microsoft free.

Perfect.  That is probably exactly what you should have done for your
level of work.

> Just my experience here, there are alternatives to Office (that
> also won't cost you an arm and a leg.

If you need a high-end word processor, there is no alternative on the
Macintosh for using Word.  If you just need to write letters to
grandma, there are a  ton of choices, and Word is probably entirely
inappropriate for your needs.

> Be open minded and remember to "think different".

Uh...yeah.  You might want to be more open minded.

> Oh and this email is written using Apple Mail, not Entourage.

Good for you.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html