[X4U] DVD copying

Aaron aaron at macuser.fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 4 15:45:01 PDT 2007

Copy from DVD to hard disk with MTR. Then, with Toast 7.1.2, choose "DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS" and check  "Fit-to-DVD video compression". The compression will only be used if needed to fit onto a single-layer disc, presuming that's what you're using.

You could use double-layer discs to avoid compression but (1) they're many times more expensive than single-layer discs, (2) they're more error-prone and (3) they write at much slower speeds. Some burners won't handle them at all. And, in most cases, you won't notice the difference in quality anyway.

 - Aaron