[X4U] Blu-ray vs HD

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Wed Aug 15 21:28:34 PDT 2007

On Aug 15, 2007, at 9:07 AM, Robert Ashton wrote:

> I'm getting close to purchasing a high def player. At last check
> Apple was supporting Blu-ray and not HD.
> 1) Is this still the case?

Apple has stated that they are in the Blu-Ray camp, but they appear
to be waiting for the standards war to shake out, and for hardware
prices to come down, before offering hardware that supports either
standard.

A winner in the standards war is by no means certain at this point.

> 2) What are the chances that apple software (imovie to Final cut
> pro) would support both platforms?

Don't they already?
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/compressor/support.html

A couple of manufacturers are offering players that support both
standards already, but they are expensive.  The two sides don't
currently seem amenable to coming up with a compromise standard with
room for both.

> 3) What platforms would other users purchase?

Currently Blu-Ray has an arguable lead in the war in that Sony is
behind this standard and millions of customers already have Blu-Ray
players in their homes in the form of a Play Station 3  console.
Sony also is one of the major content providers in the movie
industry, owning Colombia Pictures, which gives them an advantage in
pushing their standard.  In addition, Blockbuster recently announced
that they will only be carrying Blu-Ray DVD's, not HD.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/17/blockbuster-chooses-blu-ray-is-the-
war-over/

Microsoft and Intel back the competing HD DVD format.  Given the
virtual monopoly position that both enjoy, they could decide to make
HD DVD the de facto standard for PC's and then easily enforce it by
only offering PC software and hardware products that support HD.
Microsoft could also tilt the advantage the Blu-Ray currently enjoys
by including a HD DVD player in a future version of the X-Box.

So, for now, it is too early to bet heavily on one over the other.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html