[X4U] Blu-ray vs HD

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Wed Aug 15 22:14:08 PDT 2007

At 9:28 PM -0700 8/15/07, Randy B. Singer wrote:
>On Aug 15, 2007, at 9:07 AM, Robert Ashton wrote:
>
>>I'm getting close to purchasing a high def player. At last check
>>Apple was supporting Blu-ray and not HD.
>>1) Is this still the case?
>
>Apple has stated that they are in the Blu-Ray camp, but they appear
>to be waiting for the standards war to shake out, and for hardware
>prices to come down, before offering hardware that supports either
>standard.
>
>A winner in the standards war is by no means certain at this point.
>
>>2) What are the chances that apple software (imovie to Final cut
>>pro) would support both platforms?
>
>Don't they already?
>http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/compressor/support.html

I just wrote this story to another list, but am adding it here
because it was so mind-blowing. Tonight I took my visiting mother to
my company (Qualcomm) to see a movie they were showing free in one of
their fantastic presentation spaces. (movie was just for fun, "Office
Space".)

Anyway, it was shown on a huge movie-theater-size screen from a
Blu-Ray disk. It was indistinguishable from a regular movie film
presentation. I was blown away. We saw the full-length movie on this
HUGE screen, and it was brilliantly clear. If someone has a better
way of saving media, show me. This was incredible.

Daly