[X4U] Clickable URL's and addresses in emails

J Flenner varney at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 16 11:41:01 PDT 2007

At 5:32 PM, 8/16/07, Daly Jessup wrote:

>At 6:24 PM +1100 8/16/07, Brett Conlon wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>My mum is sending out a basic email newsletter for her reborning
>>doll business but wants the URL's and her email address to be
>>clickable to users with HTML mail clients.
>>
>>I told her that most clients will simply recognise a URL and a
>>mailto:address and make them clickable but she tells me that a
>>number of people don't receive them as clickable items and want her
>>to make it possible in her newsletters.
>>
>>Accounting for the fact that they may not have correct clients or
>>their settings are incorrect I'm also interested in what is required
>>to take this to the next step.
>
>I think the main thing she can do to increase the percentage of
>people who see her links as clickable is to enclose them in brackets.
>For instance, instead of typing:
>http://www.google.com
>
>she would type:
>
><http://www.google.com>

Just so you know, I use Earthlink's Web mail. In your examples, the
http://www.google.com is hyperlinked (so I can click on it and go to
google home page). The <http://www.google.com> is not a hyperlink (not
clickable). I always look at the bottom of my browser window to see what
the linked address actually is--I never
trust the hyperlink without checking.

JF