[X4U] Clickable URL's and addresses in emails

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Aug 17 09:41:42 PDT 2007

On 17 Aug 2007, at 00:24, Daly Jessup wrote:

> At 2:41 PM -0400 8/16/07, J Flenner wrote:
>
>> Just so you know, I use Earthlink's Web mail. In your examples,
>> the http://www.google.com is hyperlinked (so I can click on it and
>> go to google home page). The <http://www.google.com> is not a
>> hyperlink (not clickable). I always look at the bottom of my
>> browser window to see what the linked address actually is--I never
>> trust the hyperlink without checking.
>
> I don't understand what you wrote there. BOTH those URLs are blue
> and clickable in this message in Eudora.

He's saying that they're NOT both blue and clickable when he views
the message in Earthlink's Web mail.

> If a URL is clickable at all, it will definitely be clickable with
> angle brackets, and in some clients a long URL won't be clickable
> at all without the brackets.

Unless the email client is broken.
Like AOL or, apparently, Earthlink's Web mail.

This is what the original question boils down to.

The only plain-text solution I can see is:
   click here <http://www.google.com>
   or here http://www.google.com
   or if you're an AOL user <a href="http://www.google.com">click
here</a>.