[X4U] Printing Greeting cards from iPhoto 08

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 23 12:31:35 PDT 2007

On Aug 23, 2007, at 11:07 AM, Andrew T. Lynch wrote:

> Hi Winston,
>   Thanks for responding.  I was beginning to wonder if my mail had
> gotten through.
>
>    When you say custom page size, do you mean some size other than
> the ones normally defined, such as US Letter?  I just want to
> select US Letter, or US Letter borderless.  I can do this from the
> normal print dialogs, but not from the greeting card system.  There
> is no "Page Setup" in iPhoto 7 (aka iPhoto '08)
>
> Were you actually able to print a greeting card on 8.5x11 paper and
> have it properly aligned?
>
> -Drew
>

> ---
> Andrew T. Lynch

I just looked through all of the documentation regarding producing a
greeting card in iPhoto 08.  Nowhere in the documentation does it say
that you can print your own.  I guess you can, but they're not going
to come out correctly.  Do you not see the button at the end that
says "Buy Card"?  I believe that Apple feels, and rightly so, that
they can produce a much better product for you than you can at home.
However mistaken that concept might be:  a lot of us have HIGH
quality printers that give excellent results.  But it seems as though
they want you to let them produce the card(s) for you and them ship
them back.
Now I have used their services in the past to order prints, a
calendar and one of their books.  What came back (in about 3 days or
so) was very high quality output.  So, yes they do a very good job.
But should they take the ability for us to produce this same output
at home?  I think the answer is no.  I thought the whole idea was
about choice--fine, we should ALSO have the choice to produce our own
output, but this seems to have been limited with the release of iLife
08.  Though there are vast improvements, I think it would be wise to
hold on to your copy of iLife 06.
--
Tim Collier
MacBook Pro 2.33 gig