[X4U] VNC solution from my Home Mac to mum's?

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Thu Aug 23 20:08:45 PDT 2007

Hi Daly,

Yes, her Mac's IP is 10.0.0.1 so I'd have to set up forwarding - I vaguely
remember seeing that option in the Modem settings a month or so back.

What I'm vague on is how to still find her Mac. There are a few computers
connected to the Modem/Router so how do I isolate hers?

I've used Timbuktu in the past and it was pretty reliable (even over
dialup) but for the small number of times I'll use it I'll stay with the
free stuff.  8-}

Ta,

Coj

Daly Jessup <jessup at san.rr.com>
Sent by: x4u-bounces at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
24/08/07 12:07 PM
Please respond to
"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>

"A place to discuss Mac OS X for the casual user."
<x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [X4U] VNC solution from my Home Mac to mum's?

She should tell you what IP address her computer is being given, from
looking in the TCP/IP tab under networking in the System Preferences.
If it's a public IP, that's great. If it's an internet IP address,
she will have to set up port forwarding to send your requests through
the router to her computer. That's the first thing to figure out.

Also, I have found Remote Desktop to be very nice on the local
network but absolute insanely slow when trying to control a Mac on a
remote computer. I hear that Timbuktu is better, but it's expensive,
and I haven't tried it in years. It does seem to be the last word in
remote control on Macs, though.

Daly