[X4U] VNC solution from my Home Mac to mum's?

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu Aug 23 20:46:49 PDT 2007

At 2:08 PM +1100 8/24/07, Brett Conlon wrote:
>Hi Daly,
>
>Yes, her Mac's IP is 10.0.0.1 so I'd have to set up forwarding - I
>vaguely remember seeing that option in the Modem settings a month or
>so back.
>
>What I'm vague on is how to still find her Mac. There are a few
>computers connected to the Modem/Router so how do I isolate hers?
>
>I've used Timbuktu in the past and it was pretty reliable (even over
>dialup) but for the small number of times I'll use it I'll stay with
>the free stuff.  8-}

Okay, whatever programs you choose (she for server, you for client -
I like using her Apple Remote Desktop (in the Sharing system pref)
and Chicken of the VNC or VNCthing or OSX vnc as the client (your
end) ) will probably tell you what ports need to be forwarded. I do
it on my iMac by going to Applications/Utilities/Airport Admin
Utility, where can set up "port mapping" under the Configure tab in
the Port mapping subtab.

She needs to know her local IP address (which is under System
Prefernces/Networking/TCP-IP/
and her router's IP address. Probably the easiest way to get that is
to go in any browser to:
<http://www.whatismyip.com>

She needs to forward any traffic on the VNC port from the public IP
address to her private IP address (10.0.1.x). The 10.0-.0.1 I somehow
doubt is her actual personal IP address but might belong to another
device on her network.

Here's a URL that talks about this:  <
http://www.realvnc.com/support/portforward.html>

I gather that the ports that need to be forwarded to her own private
addres are:  5900 and 5901. I"m sure someone else will chime in and
correct or expand this information.

But the idea is that she needs to tell the router to take any traffic
to the VNC ports and route it to her personal IP address.

If she is not connected wirelessly, then I'm not sure what utility
she should use for doing the port forwarding. Maybe in a browser
connection to the admin page for her router?

How IS she connected to the internet?

Daly