[X4U] Airport Extreme and AT&T/SBC

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 27 12:10:34 PDT 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2007, at 11:01 PM, Linda wrote:
>
>> On 8/26/07 10:43 PM, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to me
>>> that it might be simpler and safer to just get the DSL modem and
>>> connect
>>> it to my Airport Extreme pretty much as I have been doing with my
>>> Charter
>>> cable modem.
>>
>> One year ago, we quit Charter, gave back their modem, and started
>> with
>> AT&T/SBC (sbcglobal.net). We did exactly what you are suggesting:
>> simply
>> ...lied had the same LAN IP that my router had
>> (192.168.0.1), which meant that I had to choose a new IP for my
>> router
>> (192.168.10.1), but other than that, it was pretty straightforward.
>>
> Linda,
>
> My experience has been quite the opposite. I know wish that I had
> not given up DSL. It was reasonable for about a year and then at
> least 2 -3 times a day I must reboot my mac to get the connection
> back. I suspect its a software issue with 10.4.10 as the problem
> started after the upgrade.
>
> Ed

I've had DSL (BellSouth, now AT&T) for many years and because we've
had problems at times with DSL going down for days, we also have
Comcast cable (which can also go down for days).  So, I always have
an internet connection--as mostly they are both up at the same time.
OK, explanation over.
My first network was wired, using DSL only.  It worked fine, never
had any problems, this was using a Linksys router.  Then we went
wireless.  But since I'm an Apple hardware fanatic, my first wireless
network was with the white airport extreme (the one that looked like
a flying saucer).  Now that the Intel Macs have the faster 'n'
protocol, we upgraded to the new flat square airport extremes (we
have 2).  The airports are connected to the cable modem and all of
our Macs get a wireless signal.  My Mac Pro is directly connected to
the DSL modem plus gets a signal from the airport network.  All of
the Macs are running 10.4.10.  Never do we have to reboot for any
reason.  Everything just works.  Before you go blaming an update for
all of your problems, I would look into other explanations.  I've
been seeing a common theme on this list lately, Everybody is blaming
small problems on the 10.4.10 update.  We updated all of our Macs to
10.4.10 the day it came out and we've had no problems here, not one.
So, just a few words of advice, if you buy a Mac, get AppleCare.
Calling Apple for help with a minor problem to a big problem is easy
and painless and they always provide you with a fix.  Before an
update, do a backup of your system, that way you can just restore it
if the update didn't come out like you expected (I use Carbon Copy
Cloner and an external firewire harddrive).  Repair permissions
before and afterwards.  Also, do regular backups of vital information.
Also, know that wireless and wired networking is EASY, unlike
Windows!  I can share information among all of the Macs on the
wireless network, share printers, everything--this is also easy.
Finally, before blaming a system update for all of your problems,
look into other explanations.  Use the console to check for
information regarding errors and know that the terminal can be your
friend.
--
Tim Collier
MacBook Pro 2.33 gig