[X4U] Leopard Issues

Rod Buchanan lists at sofstats.com
Mon Dec 3 15:31:21 PST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Jon Warms wrote:

> 2) Problem 1: All browsers no longer do "domain guessing".
> I'm connected using Verizon DSL. Now, for example, when
> I type "jr" in the address bar (for jr.com, which is J&R) and
> hit "return", the browser loads the Verizon-Yahoo search
> page (with jr.com as the first entry). Old behavior: the browser
> would automagically add the "www." and the ".com". This is
> a major PITA; had I known, it would have been a show-stopper.

Don't blame Apple -- blame your ISP.  I have the same problem at home
(I'm on Charter -- they started doing the same thing about 4-6 months
ago), but at work (we have our own connection to the internet) typing
"jr" resolves to http://www.jr.com.  Running 10.5.1 on all Macs.  My
guess is the ISP is intercepting the error and redirecting to their
search page.  More income for them, less convenient for us.

--
Rod

"War is only a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."
-- Thomas Mann