[X4U] Leopard Issues

John Douglass - User douglass at cs.clemson.edu
Mon Dec 3 12:07:50 PST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Charles Howse wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Jon Warms wrote:
>
>> 2) Problem 1: All browsers no longer do "domain guessing".
>> I'm connected using Verizon DSL. Now, for example, when
>> I type "jr" in the address bar (for jr.com, which is J&R) and
>> hit "return", the browser loads the Verizon-Yahoo search
>> page (with jr.com as the first entry). Old behavior: the browser
>> would automagically add the "www." and the ".com". This is
>> a major PITA; had I known, it would have been a show-stopper.
>>
>> It's repeatable; and happens on Safari 3.0.4 and Firefox 2.0.0.11.
>> Camino works the same way. Strangely, it also happens on an
>> old Netscape browser that had been "guessing" fine. While it
>> sounds like Verizon is behind this, my wife's PowerBook, right
>> next to me on the kitchen table, does domain-guessing like
>> Macs always did.
>

> The same thing is happening here, I'm on Charter.
> Betcha it's something to do with Leopard.

Doesn't happen for me on any of my Leopard boxes under
Safari, Firefox, or Camino.   I do use statically allocated DNS
servers (at work and at home).  There have been several
complaints in the Apple discussion forums regarding this
exact behavior but no one has nailed it down to a single
issue.

Have you tried logging in under the Guest  account in Leopard
to see if the behavior exists there?  Have you made any other
changes at the same time (upgrading your wireless network,
changing ISPs, etc.)?

While the problem seems somewhat prevalent it is not simply
Leopard because it is not an issue for everyone (I've checked
with other Leopard users in my organization as well).

Other suggestions:
- redo network settings from scratch
- reset Safari (I don't see how this could help with other browsers)

-- John