[X4U] Re: Leopard Issues - Some Responses

John Douglass - User douglass at cs.clemson.edu
Tue Dec 4 11:21:36 PST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Stroller wrote:

> On 4 Dec 2007, at 05:25, Jon Warms wrote:
>> 4) The issue isn't how Verizon handles a poorly formed URL.
>> Domain-guessing adds the www and the dot com, so the
>> ISP sees a correctly formatted URL. I get the Verizon-Yahoo
>> search engine because the browser sends the incomplete URL
>> (the way I typed it).
>
> Prove it.
>
> Without making the DNS changes suggested today open a terminal
> window and type `host jr` (without the quotes).

This should only show a "Host jr not found" message as domain guessing
is different
from DNS search domains (ref: http://www.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/domain-guessing.html)

So while my browsers are correctly performing domain guessing, when I
do as you suggest
and type "host jr" I get the expected "Host jr not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)"
because my DNS
entries do not have ".com" in the search domains (nor would I want to
add them).

>  I believe you are incorrect when you absolve Verizon from blame. It
> frustrates me, therefore,
> that you continue to write paragraphs complaining about Apple over
> this.

I agree with you that it is not likely that Apple is simply to blame.
If one reads the reference from
Mozilla above it states: "the browser is getting an error for what you
typed, and re-trying with a
second guess" -- so what seems to me to be happening is that Verizon
is not returning a proper
error but instead returning the redirect.

-- John