[X4U] Re: Leopard Issues - Some Responses

Jon jwarms at mac.com
Tue Dec 4 21:26:29 PST 2007

I'm really trying to understand what I call the missing domain guessing
issue. The last posters are pretty convincing that Verizon is doing the
dirty deed & diverting invalid urls to feed their click revenue.

But that doesn't fit the facts that I observe and have reported.

I have a Powerbook running 10.4.11 and a MacBook running 10.5.1,
running side-by-side on my kitchen table, and connected by Airport
to a Westell DSL modem connected to Verizon DSL.

The network preference panel on each machine shows that it goes to
192.168.1.1 for its router, i.e., the DSL modem. So whatever Verizon
is doing, it should affect both laptops the same way.

I went to the Westell modem site (192.168.1.1). The connection summary
shows a primary DNS of 71.250.0.12, and a secondary DNS of 71.242.0.12.
I couldn't change them. In any case, since both computers use the
Westell, these
DNS can't be reason for the different results.

I ran the port and dig commands, but I don't understand enough about
them
yet. (I wish the man pages were not so lengthy and not so cryptic.)

So let me repeat what the issue is.
I launched Firefox on each machine. This is a problem, because the
version on the Powerbook (Tiger) isn't the current version for
Leopard, and
when I copied that version over to the MacBook, it upgraded
automatically.

In any event, when I type "chevrolet", in the MacBook I get the Verizon-
Yahoo search program; on the PowerBook, the Chevy website comes
right up.

I'm not ignoring any postings, I'm not bashing Apple, and I certainly
don't
want to ignore Verizon. It certainly seems like Verizon is forcing its
search program, but that isn't an issue to me if domain guessing is
working.

All I'm doing is what
I've been trained to do and have been practicing all my life. Observe
what's
going on, and make sure the conclusions fit all the observations.

One poster suggested that all browsers now go through iWeb (an Apple
program), and - if this is indeed true - could be where changes have
occurred.

I respectfully request help, but - please - explain why 10.4 still
works and 10.5
hasn't from the first day I installed it. (And I'd love to see a tech
bulletin that
could explain it further.)