[X4U] Cheap Reliable USB Laser Printer

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Thu Dec 13 19:02:25 PST 2007

On 12/13/07 7:55 PM, Neil Laubenthal wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2007, at 20:32, David R. Boag, DDS wrote:
>
>> My parents' have an Apple LaserWriter Select 360 (one of Apple's
>> best printers they ever sold under their own name). It is LocalTalk
>> only.
>>

> Yeah . . .mine finally died so I got a used HP 2100.

I started with a LW Select 360, too. Mine never broke, but I upgraded to an
HP LaserJet 4000 eight years ago to get 1200 dpi -- made a difference on
greyscale for printouts. That has half a million prints on it, still going
strong.

>> What I really want my dad to do is to upgrade to a Mac Mini and get
>> a simple USB printer. He wants a laser printer, not an inkjet. B&W
>> is fine. They've never had color. The last time I was looking for a
>> laser printer, i got an HP, and it still sits on my desk. It's been
>> reliable.

You could get them an Ethernet printer, a used HP LJ4000 shouldn't be more
than $150. Toner carts are about $130 but I get about 13,000-15,000 prints
from a single cartridge ("extended life"), so that's not prohibitively
expensive.

>> Is HP still a good way to go for a cheap printer? They want one for
>> roughly $150 or so. Is there a better alternative to HP now for low-
>> end laser printers?
>
> HP's are still good . . .although none of the currently available
> models are built as well as the LW 360 . . .or the HP2100TN I have.
> They're a lot more of a 'use it until it breaks' like an inkjet is
> than a 'use it forever' like HP and Apple printers of yesteryear.

I have to agree with that. The HP 3600 color laserjet I got a year ago has
already needed $265 in repairs that my 4000 monochrome laser has never
needed.

~Linda