[X4U] HP Laser Jet 1520

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 14 02:44:16 PST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007, at 12:06 AM, Ed Gould wrote:

> I do not print more than one or two pages a week (80 percent of the
> time) the other 20 percent is maybe 5 pages a week.
>
> Two  years ago I got a HP laser Jet 1520 with built in network card.
>
> It has worked well for me, except about 3 months ago it jammed. I am
> *NOT* mechanically inclined.
>
> Is there an easy way to unjam it? If I feed the paper through the
> front manually it works but it is a PITA. When I turn it on it goes
> through its startup and makes a bit of noise.
>
> Am I going to have to take it in for HP servicing to get rid of an
> apparent simple paper jam? We have looked at it and just don't see
> anyway that you can get to the paper feed area to see what is
> causing the noise.
>
> I guess I am spoiled from using an IBM 4019 as they were extremely
> easy to open up and find the jam. The HP does not seem to have an
> visible levers to do so, help.
>
> Ed

In my 20+ years of using laser printers, I've never come across a
printer that I couldn't 'un-jam'.  Look at the owner's manual and
you'll see that there are various parts that you can open to find that
jammed piece of paper.  The most common place that you'll find it is
at the point where it is fed from the paper tray into the printer.
None of this is difficult, and  1000's of people tackle this problem
on a daily basis.  Before you go spending money, take a look at the
various parts that open....remove the toner cartridge, remove anything
inside that you can, you'll find the paper!  Then just put everything
back together.
Even if you don't know any Mac users with a laser printer, if you know
somebody with a PC printer they can help as well, they all get paper
jams.  Don't go throwing your money away for something as simple as
that.  Just ask for help!
I'm in the Miami area...if I'm anywhere near to where you live, hell,
I'll even come over and fix it for you.

Tim