[X4U] Who loves ya Digi Camera? [TAN]

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon Dec 17 10:10:23 PST 2007

At 12:52 PM -0500 12/17/07, Shawn King wrote:
>On 12/17/07 12:02 PM, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

>  > either a Nikon or Cannon.
>
>I would disagree with that - there are *many* companies that make cameras as
>good as the Big 2 on the low range.

Well... I was being nice by including the Canon. :^)  I was raised as
a Nikon person, and bought my first shortly after I went into the
Navy in the 80's.

Seriously part of why I recommended those two is the selection of
lenses available.  The only other one I'm familiar with that might
cut it would be the new Pentax bodies as I believe they'll work with
a wide range of existing lenses for Pentax film cameras.

The fact that the original poster wants to do 3 seperate types of
photography makes things difficult, you either go with a pocket
camera which will only do the family photo's well, or you spend the
$$$'s on a camera body and lenses.

>Problem is, finding a DSLR in your price range and specs is gonna be
>difficult at the very least.

Best bet will be an entry level camera body like a Nikon D40x or
equivalent and then purchasing a good lens or two such as the "Nikon
18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens" later.  To
say I love this lens would be an understatement, but it's $750US, so
is more than the OP's budget.

Of course this is a dangerous road to travel down, as I've learned.
I'm now trying to save up money to replace my Nikon D70 rather than
my G5 2x2 PowerMac!  The Nikon is also the newer of the two, but was
purchased knowing I'd want a new camera back once they reached the
spec's I really wanted when I bought the D70.

Zane