[X4U] Preferred Tool for Smart File Copying

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Dec 18 23:21:50 PST 2007

Apologies for not correcting the subject to my previous post. Here's a
corrected copy.

On 12/18/07,  Daly Jessup <jessup at san.rr.com> wrote:
> At 18 26  -0800 12/17/07, Rick Gordon wrote:
>>I'm seeking your input on your preferred method of smart file
>>copying. That is, one which will allow the copy of selected folders
>>and only copy the files which have new modification dates, and which
>>will (optionally, at least) preserve all permissions and advanced
>>file flags.
>>
>>Tools like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper don't seem well suited
>>for simple smart backups. I'm looking forward to more suggestions,
>>including (but not preferring) straight terminal commands. I do use
>>the ditto command sometimes for this purpose, but find its behavior
>>of losing the top level of folder hierarchy annoying.

CCC 3 uses a modified version of rsync. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

> It's pretty easy to do it with Copy Scripts in SuperDuper. Make your
> script, save it, and then it's always available as an option when
> running SuperDuper. ("Script" is just a matter of making some
> selections, not writing code.)  But another program I've heard
> praised is FoldersSynchronizer. However, Neither is fully certified
> for Leopard yet.
>
> Carbon Copy Cloner is also popular. It is the cheapest of the
> options, at $10,

Hmmm!! CCC is donationware, free to anyone who deals with education (students,
teachers, administrators, etc.)

> though SuperDuper is "cheaper" if you already own
> it, of course. I don't use CCC, but it looks like if you have the
> patience to "unclick" all the items you do NOT want to synchronize,
> leaving just the ones you do, then it would act as the synchronizing
> utility you want. Once you do make the selections you want, you can
> "Save Task" so you don't have to do the selecting again in the future.
>
> Ah, after all this writing, I just re-read your comment that
> SuperDuper and CCC don't seem suited for synchronizing. What is about
> them that makes them unsuitable?

Both are suitable for synching.