[X4U] How can I access MIME messages?

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Wed Dec 19 21:33:35 PST 2007

Somebody named Dirk posted these instructions on the Internet June 2, 2007.
Full credit to him:

> Open the first mail message, then
>
> go
>
> View > Message > Raw Source
>
> Copy the whole base64 code chunks from the first "<" (I think), when the files
> tells you it's multipart message
>
> Its the code after the text
> "To read this message, select all of the parts of the message and select the
> Message --> MIME --> Combine Messages menu item."
>
> paste into a Text Edit file
> hit 'Enter' (to create a new line)
>
> The open second file, do as above, but just copy the dbase64 lines
>
> do soame for all oher parts bar the last
>
> for last message also copy the final line after the base64 lines
>
> then save the whole Text Edit file as txt
>
> go to 'Get Info' (Cmd-I) and delete the '.txt' (DO NOT tick the box hide
> extension..)
>
> then run Stuffit Expander
>
> (all from memory..)
>
> The hang-ups I ran into were:
> 1) not to copy the lines before the base64 lines
> 2) not to remove the .txt through the get info (Cmd-I) window...
>
> Hope it works

I echo his sentiment. Hope it works. Other suggestions in the thread were to
read the messages in Web mail rather than Mail, but if you've already
downloaded the mail (via POP) to your local computer, you won't be able to
do that.

~Linda