[X4U] Aperature vs. Lightroom & Photoshop CS

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Thu Dec 20 16:38:51 PST 2007

On Dec 20, 2007, at 5:10 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>>> Thanks!  This is just what I was looking for.
>>
>> I figured. :)
>>
>>> It looks like the better program for me is Aperture.
>>
>> You can test drive them both. I personally like Lightroom much
>> better.
>>
>> --
>> Shawn King
>
> I have three areas I'm looking at.
> 	1. Organization
> 	2. Performance
> 	3. Manipulation of images
>
> It sounds like Aperture wins at #1, but Lightroom wins at #2 and
> #3.  That
> makes this a rough choice.  I need to look into freeing up some
> disk space
> and installing the demo's.
>
> I really don't want to move off of iPhoto '08, but I keep running into
> problems with it.  It feels like I've reached the point where it is
> time to
> move to something better.  Still who knows, demoing Aperture and
> Lightroom
> might convince me I'm better off staying with iPhoto '08.  One thing I
> really do not want to do right now is start looking at a computer
> upgrade,
> as I would much rather upgrade my Camera instead.  Other than
> iPhoto '08 and
> Adobe GoLive CS, I am happy with my current software and hardware.
>
> Zane

Zane: in my experience, the biggest obstacle with Aperture is that it
has high video card requirements. If your current machine (and video
card) can't meet the specs, it won't work. I had a G5 iMac which I
assumed would have the horsepower to work with Aperture and it
flunked the video card requirements. (Any of the current line of
intel macs will work with Aperture.)

Lightroom is much less demanding and will work well under both PPC
and MacIntel machines, although a newer machine will make the
experience much more enjoyable.

Of the two, Lightroom may therefore the better option for you. Be
aware that both programs have a much steeper learning curve than
iPhoto -- they are really design for professional or prosumer
photographers who have or need a rigorous workflow. One of the pluses
is that they do store images in a much more intuitive (and
manageable) fashion than iPhoto.

You will still need Photoshop or Elements to make any adjustments to
your photos.

Like Shawn, I prefer Lightroom.

Jeff

J-K Carruthers Limited          Tel: 613-278-0390
678 2nd Concessions N Sherbrooke, RR1   Fax: 613-278-2929
McDonalds Corners, ON K0G 1M0      cell: 613-720-2350
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com
Publishing Orders in Council for more than 25 years

Carruthers Communications           Tel: 520-625-1913
292 N. Camino del Vate, Green Valley, AZ 85614
www.carruthers.com                  e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com